terminating not converging Hydrus runs

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
besel

terminating not converging Hydrus runs

Post by besel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 am

Dear Hydrus user,

I am running Monte Carlo simulations with Hydrus1D using randomly sampled soil parameters. I am just wondering whether there is any option to terminate model runs, when the numerical solution is not converging (because unsuited parameter combinations are used). This would reduce the computing time of MC simulations considerably since these model runs have large water balance errors anyhow.

Thanks,
Benny

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Benny,

I'm sending you the version of the code that automatically stops and closes all the output files when it does not converge in the solution of the Richards equation (instead of trying to continue). Let me know if you would need the code to do something else in such case, such as sending some message, ...

Jirka

Green_roof54

Re: terminating not converging Hydrus runs

Post by Green_roof54 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Jirka,

Sorry, I know that the discussion is old but I'm actually using the monte Carlo method to determine the sensitivity of van Genuchten model parameters. I used the home technique. I check the obs_node.out file. if the latter is empty, I run another set of parameters. The simulation takes very long time. Can you send please if it's possible the code to stop when it does not converge?

Thanks

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 am

The code automatically stops when it does not converge in 10 consecutive time steps. J.

ritadg

Post by ritadg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 am

Hi all!

I'm running HYDRUS-1D in Matlab and I'm also running Monte Carlo simulations using randomly generated soil parameters (given an upper an lower limit for each parameter).
Some runs takes ages (more than 20 minutes) for then get to a no converging solution.
Does anyone have this code that automatically stops and closes all the output files when it does not converge in the solution of the Richards equation ?

Or maybe someone have an idea of how to kill the run when longer than a certain time? (I've tried few options but it didn't work)

Thanks a lot!
Rita.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm

The code should automatically stop when it does not converge in 10 consecutive time steps. I'm not an expert on MatLab, but I believe you have there a command that would kill the run if it does not finish before some specified time. J.