max number of time-variable thermal boundaries?

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
summeren

max number of time-variable thermal boundaries?

Post by summeren » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Hello everybody,

I am trying a heat transfer problem with multiple boundaries of time-variable, prescribed temperatures (pressure and solute transport is not important for my purposes).

Is it possible to assign more than two time-variable thermal boundaries?

I managed two such boundaries by using atmospheric water flow boundaries in combination with Dirichlet-type heat transport BC’s and activating “Interpolate Time-Variable Pressure Head and Flux (1) boundary condition in time” in the Boundary Condition Options. This way, the BC Code numbers refer to the TValue1 and TValue 2 time series, in “Time Variable Boundary Conditions“. Is this indeed limited to only two time-dependent temperature boundaries, or is there a way to work around this?

I am new to Hyrdrus, apologies if I am missing something trivial but I did not get this clear from the manuals. Any advice will be appreciated.

Joost van Summeren

Jirka

Re: max number of time-variable thermal boundaries?

Post by Jirka » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Indeed, Hydrus limits the max number of time-variable values for different processes. While for water flow, one can have Atmopheric BC, four time-variable heads, and four time-variable fluxes, for solute transport one can have three sets of time-variable concentrations/fluxes, and for heat transport one can have only two sets of time-variable temperatures. J.