Simulating Root Water Uptake with Root Growth model using Hydrus 2D

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
liyanet

Simulating Root Water Uptake with Root Growth model using Hydrus 2D

Post by liyanet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:42 pm

I have a question regarding Simulating Root Water Uptake with Root Growth model using Hydrus 2D With uniform horizontal distribution of plants without specifying any particular plant position. <br/>

I set up a simple homogeneous soil with atmospheric boundary on top and free drainage for bottom boundary, to demonstrate my problem for the hillslope I like to simulate eventually. I am not specifying parameters for Horizontal distribution under domain properties for all scenarios.<br/>

What is working for me so far
  • Scenario 1

- Without the root growth model, Actual RWU produced – works fine
Scenario 1.jpg
Scenario 1.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 92 times
  • Scenario 2
- With the root growth model with Root Growth Parameters: Vrugt et al (2000) for Shape of the root zone, Root Depth Specified using a Growth function and Root Growth Data – 50% after 50% Growing Season
- Horizontal distribution of plants – Number of plants and plant position updated
- Actual RWU produced – works fine
Scenario 2.jpg
Scenario 2.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 92 times

What is not working
  • Scenario 3
- With the root growth model same as Scenario 2 but with Horizontal distribution of plants – not specified.
- Actual RWU seems only to happen on the left corner of my domain and the rest of domain results in zero RWU.
Scenario 3.jpg
Scenario 3.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Can we not use the root growth model for uniform horizontal distribution of plants without specifying any particular plant position?

Jirka

Re: Simulating Root Water Uptake with Root Growth model using Hydrus 2D

Post by Jirka » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Indeed, the code currently can consider root growth only when considering both vertical and horizontal growth (with specified horizontal locations), and it cannot consider only vertical growth (without horizontal growth). I will have to look at it, and update the code to allow such option, when I have time (not early next a week from now). J.

liyanet

Post by liyanet » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply! I will be waiting. L

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:46 am

I think I have found where the problem was. Please test the two attached exe files (replaced them in the folder where HYDRUS is installed). Thanks. Jirka
Attachments
h2d_clci.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

liyanet

Post by liyanet » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I am not sure I follow what you mean by “replaced them in the folder where HYDRUS is installed.” I don’t see similar files named “h2d_calc” or “h2d_clci” to replace within the HYDRUS 3.x 64-bit folder. I tried saving it next to HYDRUS 3.x 64-bit folder under PC-Progress folder but I am getting this response “Folder with input data of the specified project does not exist or pathway is too long or corrupted.”

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 pm

If you click with the right-mouse button on the HYDRUS icon, you get a pop up menu. From this pop-up menu select "Properties". Under the Tab "Shortcut" you can see the fields "Target and "Start In". These fields give you the path where HYDRUS (the program itself, not its projects) is installed. You should fine the main GUI file HYDRUS3D64.exe here, as well as files of the computational moduels “h2d_calc” or “h2d_clci”. J.

liyanet

Post by liyanet » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Thank you so much. It works fine for a flat surface now; however, when I do the same thing as scenario 3 on an inclined plane (e.g. hillslope). I get the result shown below for RWU. It doesn’t look like it is taking the inclined surface into consideration; thus, RWU only happening on top left corner even when we have sufficient soil moisture down slope. Can we not simulate RWU on an inclined plane using Hydrus?
Inclined_plane_RWU.PNG
Inclined_plane_RWU.PNG (69 KiB) Viewed 15 times

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:27 pm

The root growth module with multiple plants has not been intended to work on sloped surfaces. That's something that would have to be developed as a new option. J.

liyanet

Post by liyanet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:31 am

I see. This is the last thing I need to start producing results for one of my PhD chapters. Is there a plan to add that option in the future? If so, how soon? Otherwise, do you have alternative suggestions on how to go about it. I was thinking to vertically slice down my hillslope by various surfaces and enforce potential RWU (using of the root water uptake functions in the manual) for each surface and then again for different slice of time periods based on the plant’s phenology. This of course is time consuming and tedious perhaps automating any of these processes will be useful. I will appreciate any advice you might have for me regarding general setup or automation. Thanks in advance!

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Currently, there is not. I do not have time for that. One could perhaps hardcode something for this specific geometry, but I do not see myself coding something for general geometries.

Note that you can manually edit the Domain.dat (a text file of the binary Domain.in file) file externally, using, e.g., Python.

J.