Guidance or your Opinion for an idea

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
ashkan.t

Guidance or your Opinion for an idea

Post by ashkan.t » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:30 am

Hello, I have an idea for my master thesis with HYDRUS-1D and excited to know your opinion about it.
I want to Create a setup (for example performing a constant Water flux through a soil column) and Inverse estimation of Van Genuchten's Soil water retention curve parameters with measurements of Soil Temperature and moisture data and investigate effect of temperature data in inverse modeling and is it possible to use only temperature data to do this or decrease the moisture data as much as possible.
Can I use HYDRUS-1D to inverse modeling of SWRC Parameters using Coupled Heat, Vapor and liquid transport of Water (with temperature data)? Using temperature data adding to some moisture measurements can be effective at this work ?

Jirka

Re: Guidance or your Opinion for an idea

Post by Jirka » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 am

Ashkan,

It should be technically possible to do what you described using HYDRUS-1D (i.e., using both temperature and moisture data in the objective function). However, the information content of such data (e.g., temperatures) for the estimation of soil hydraulic properties for a given experimental setup would have to be analyzed using some sensitivity analysis (see some of my recent papers with Giuseppe Brunetti). I would be skeptical that you can get much information form a constant flux experiment.

JS.