variable head BC with seepage face and atmospheric BC

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Niels Van Putte

variable head BC with seepage face and atmospheric BC

Post by Niels Van Putte » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Dear Jirka

I attended the HYDRUS workshop in Prague 2 years ago as a PhD student of prof. Piet Seuntjens in Belgium.

For my porewater flow model in HYDRUS 2D/3D (I'm using a 2D vertical model). I would like to use a variable head BC combined with seepage face if nodal pressure head is negative + atmospheric BC in non-active seepage face.

However, I read in another post on this forum that it is not possible to apply both seepage face and atmospheric BC to a variable head BC. I am using version 2.05. Is it possible to do this in the new version 3.01 and, if not, is their any workaround?

The domain of the model I want to simulate is a vertical cross section of a tidal creek and marsh platform. The water level in the creek is fluctuating by applying a variable head BC. At high tide, the water level in the creek exceeds the marsh platform, inundating the marsh. At low tide, the creek is empty and water that infiltrated in the marsh platform is flowing towards the creeks and seeping out of the creek banks.

Thank you in advance for your reply

best regards

Niels

Jirka

Re: variable head BC with seepage face and atmospheric BC

Post by Jirka » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:43 pm

No, it is not possible to change the time-variable head BC simultaneously into two other types (i.e., seepage face and atmospheric). Even in the new versions, you can change the time-variable head only into one other type (based on the sign of the head). Or from Seepage Face to Atmospheric.

I would also be very careful about having a fully variable domain and these system-dependent BCs (atmospheric, seepage face, etc). The program may have problems with handling it.

J.