Conditions determining type flux across the soil surface

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
hydrogal

Conditions determining type flux across the soil surface

Post by hydrogal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi,

I saw in the manual that infiltration occurs as either a prescribed head or prescribed flux condition, depending on these two equations (2.72 ans 2.73 in the manual)

|-K (dh/dx) -K | <= E
ha <= h <= hs

Where ha and hs are the min and max head at the soil profile, respectively and E is the max potential rate of infiltration. However, I am still confused about when each condition would be implemented according to these conditions.

I am looking for further explanation of this than what I have seen in the manual, or if there is a section about this I may have missed?

Thanks.

Jirka

Re: Conditions determining type flux across the soil surface

Post by Jirka » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 pm

The lower limit, ha, is applied during evaporation and the upper limit, hs, during infiltration.

Check out our newest posting at: https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... filtration. Here we post examples demonstrating the use of HYDRUS-1D to simulate infiltration from ponding and rainfall and issues associated with this process.

J.

snirpardo

Post by snirpardo » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am

Hi,
Saw the posting you showed as well as read the relevant papers (Feddes 74 & Hanks 69) about the limitation on the surface flux, but it's still not clear to me what is the mathematical procedure that limits the flux - how do you calculate E? it seems that as for transpiration in the simulation we don't give all the relevant data in order to use Feddes's 8th equation [X(t) = delta/(delta + gamma) * Rn * exp(-0.39* LAI)], and as for infiltration I haven't saw any equation that represents the maximal infiltration rate in the current soil status.

Thanks in advance,
Snir.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Once the critical pressure (e.g., hCritS for infiltration and hCritA for evaporation) is reached, we switch from the Neuman (flux) BC to the Dirichlet (head) BC. The code then calculates the flux for a given flow field. We do not use any other equations than the Richards equation. This is described in the manual. J.

snirpardo

Post by snirpardo » Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am

Thanks,
must have missed it in the manual.