Hydrulic Parametrs of Peat

A discussion forum for book "Soil Physics with HYDRUS"
Natalia

Hydrulic Parametrs of Peat

Post by Natalia » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 am

Hellow,
I have some difficulties with definition of peat's hydrulic parametrs in HYDRUS. This soil type is not represent in hydrus catalog. Could you advice me range of acceptable parameters (Alph, n). I undrestand that it depend on many factors, for instance on peat's decomposition rate, but maybe you know some researches in this area? In that case I could find analog for my area.

Jirka

Re: Hydrulic Parametrs of Peat

Post by Jirka » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I have worked in the past with Kai Schwärzel on peat soils and thus would recommend you you look at these papers:

Schwärzel, K., J. Šimůnek, H. Stoffregen, G. Wessolek, and M. Th. van Genuchten, Estimation of the unsaturated hydraulic conductivity of peat soils: laboratory versus field data, Vadose Zone Journal, 5, 628-640, 2006.
(see Table 1 for hydraulic parameters)

Schwärzel, K., J. Šimůnek, M. Th. van Genuchten, and G. Wessolek, Measurement and modeling of soil water dynamics and evapotranspiration in disturbed peatland soils, Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 169, 762-774, 2006.
(see Table 2 for hydraulic parameters)
You can download both publications from my website.

Additionally, doing a quick search of HYDRUS references, I have found two additional papers:

Boudreau, J., J. Caron, and D. Elrick, J. Fortin, and J. Gallichand, Solute transport in sub-irrigated peat-based growing media, Canadian Journal Of Soil Science, 89(3), 301-313, 2009.

Kluge, B., G. Wessolek, M. Facklam, M. Lorenz, K. Schwärzel, Long-term carbon loss and CO2-C release of drained peatland soils in northeast Germany, European Journal of Soil Science, 59(6), 1076-1086, 2008.

Perhaps there is some interesting information there.

Jirka

Natalia

Post by Natalia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 am

Thank you!

Lekan

Post by Lekan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks, Jirka. I found these references very useful as well for some reclamation studies in Alberta Oil Sands.

Lekan.