Comments on Soil Phy. with Hydrus

A discussion forum for book "Soil Physics with HYDRUS"
tsutchi

Comments on Soil Phy. with Hydrus

Post by tsutchi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 am

Dear all,
I read some parts of the book. No doubt there are many good points but let me focus on the bad ones for further improvements in next editions if any. I personally waited for additions to what we can find in previous soil physics textbooks or through internet. I find the forum in this website for instance, more informative and more helpful. Especially regarding the Hydrus applications, they are very general, basic and simple. I think the new addition would be for example to present new projects solved by Hydrus and discuss in detail the different simulation steps and also chose some problems that simulations with Hydrus failed and discuss the reasons. Neither in published works using Hydrus nor in any other source we can find such information, it could be a good addition in a textbook devoted to Hydrus.
Thanks

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Please, note that the focus of the book is not the HYDRUS software. The main focus of the book is Soil Physics. HYDRUS is only one of the tools (although here considered the more important one) used to explained the concepts of Soil Physics. Therefore, I feel that it would be not appropriate to discuss in such book things such as troubleshooting of the software. For the earlier version of HYDRUS-2D, we had a book dedicated only to the software, how to set it up, and how to troubleshoot it. See the text written by David Rassam. I will have a sabbatical next year, and I should perhaps spend some of the time on developing such book (likely only an e-book).

Jirka

Rassam, D., J. Šim?nek, and M. Th. van Genuchten, Modeling Variably Saturated Flow with HYDRUS-2D, ND Consult, Brisbane, Australia, 261pp., ISBN 0-646-42309-6, 2003.

kchief

Post by kchief » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I searched online for the Hydrus-2D book by Rassam et al (2003). Do you know where I can purchase this? Thanks!I searched online for the Hydrus-2D book by Rassam et al (2003). Do you know where I can purchase this? Thanks!

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Karletta,

I do not think that you can still get it, but I will send you an email address of David when I come back to States and you can inquire directly from him. However, I do not knot if I would still recommend you this book. As you can read above, it is for the old HYDRUS-2D and there are many things that are quite different in the current HYDRUS 2D/3D. Perhaps, we should update this book so that it would be suitable also for the new software.

BTW, the Soil Physics with HYDRUS is a soil physics textbook, which is quite new.
Radcliffe, D., and J. Šim?nek, Soil Physics with HYDRUS: Modeling and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, ISBN-10: 142007380X, ISBN-13: 9781420073805, pp. 373, 2010.
You can get more info at:

http://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default.aspx?h3d-book

and order it at CRC Press, Amazon, etc.

Jirka