Trouble importing PHREEQC file into Hydrus 1D v4.x

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
jason000

Trouble importing PHREEQC file into Hydrus 1D v4.x

Post by jason000 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Greetings,

I am having trouble linking files created in PHREEQC with Hydrus 1D version 4.xx. The Solute Transport-HP-1 dialog mentions a PHREEQC.in file, and when I use the browse function, I am only given the option to search for .dat files. Further, when I save my input files in PHREEQC, they all have a .phrq suffix.

Any insight appreciated.

diederik

Post by diederik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm

1) The Solute Transport - HP1 dialog is needed only to select the (phreeqc) database used by HP1. You can browse to look for the desired database.

2) A phreeqc.in file should be created by yourself in the project directory. It will not be produced by the Hydrus 1D version 4.xx GUI.

3) On my computer, I am able to save a PHREEQC.IN file with the phreeqc GUI (the one from Vincent Post). However, recently, I gave a course , and the computers there saved automatically the extension phrq to a phreeqc.in file (creating thus a phreeqc.in.phrq file). It has probable something to do with computer settings (having always the extension corresponding to the used program). I do not know how to change that computer setting. I used then a trick (copying e.g. species.in to another directory, renaming it as phreeqc.in, open it and copy the input file from the phreeqc GUI to this file). It is not the most elegant way to do it. Maybe check your computer managers for changing this.

Diederik

jason000

Post by jason000 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks Diederik. I was able to create a .in file using the cut and paste approach that you suggested, and have moved the file into the HP-1 database folder. Now when I search for the .in file required for input into Hydrus, I am only given the option of searching for a .dat file. I have also tried to run the program using the .dat file, but when I go to execute the run, I get an error message that says "The following input file does not exist: PHREEQC.IN". I am still trying to work my way around this problem. Any suggestions?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:12 pm

The PHREEQC.in file needs to go to the project folder (you can see the path in the project manager), not to the database folder. Database folder has database files that can be used by any project. Input and output files for any particular project must go into its own folder.

Jirka

jason000

Post by jason000 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Much better. Thanks Jirka