Hydrus 1D or HP1

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
ioannis

Hydrus 1D or HP1

Post by ioannis » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Hallo,

I am working on nitrogen dynamics under saturated and unsaturated conditions at a specific agricultural field, and for that reason i try to select the appropriate model because except the flow model, i want also to model the nitrification and denitrification processes. I have noticed that some people use Hydrus 1D and some other the HP1. Can someone help me, which is the major difference between these two? I have seen that HP1 is much more difficult to use it and you need also experience in PHREEQC. I try to build up a model for drainage dynamics and nitrogen dynamic in a agricultural field

Thank you in advance

Jirka

Re: Hydrus 1D or HP1

Post by Jirka » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:05 pm

You are correct that using HP1 is much more difficult than using the standard HYDRUS. You will indeed need to know PHREEQC quite well if you want to build your own model for various nitrogen species. See, for example, a successful applications done by Nobuo Toride:

Toride, N., and DaiWen Chen, Fate and transport of nitrogen in soils based on a coupled nitrogen-carbon cycling model using the HP1 code, In: Šimůnek, J., M. Th. van Genuchten, and R. Kodešová (eds.), Proc. of the 4th International Conference "HYDRUS Software Applications to Subsurface Flow and Contaminant Transport Problems", Invited paper, March 21-22, 2013, Dept. of Soil Science and Geology, Czech University of Life Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic, ISBN: 978-80-213-2380-3, pp. 365-376, 2013.

If you are not well familiar with PHREEQC, you should start with HYDRUS, which allows you to simulate simplified nitrate reactions. See for example:

Hanson, B. R., J. Šimůnek, and J. W. Hopmans, Numerical modeling of urea-ammonium-nitrate fertigation with drip irrigation using numerical modeling, Agricultural Water Management, 86, 102-113, 2006.
nitrogen1.png
nitrogen1.png (6 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
And

Li, Y., J. Šimůnek, Z. Zhang, L. Jing, and L. Ni, Evaluation of nitrogen balance in a direct-seeded-rice field experiment using Hydrus-1D, Agricultural Water Management, 148, 213-222, doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2014.10.010, 2015.
nitrogen2.png
nitrogen2.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
J.

ioannis

Re: Hydrus 1D or HP1

Post by ioannis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:05 pm

I would like to thank you greatly for your reply.

Sincerely,

Ioannis