Compatibility limits with HYDRUS with HP1

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
mpwickham

Compatibility limits with HYDRUS with HP1

Post by mpwickham » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Diederik,

I have been using the Beta version of HP1 (v 2.3) that allows gas diffusion. Although the documentation does not specifically state this (that I could locate), it appears through the GUI that HP1 is not compatible with the HYDRUS capabilities for snow hydrology and vapour transport. It is compatible with heat transport. Is this correct or is this merely a GUI limitation? (I can overcome the snow hydrology limitation by preprocessing the precipitation inputs)

Matt

mpwickham

Post by mpwickham » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Diederik,

Continuing on this topic, I also want to confirm that the HP1 code limits the use of atmospheric boundary conditions as well by not allowing the user to specify meteorological data (disallows the use of Penman-Monteith, Hargreaves, Energy Balance, Daily variation of met data capabilities, etc.) to compute potential evaporation and that this is not merely a limit of the GUI.

As with snow hydrology, I can use a two pass approach whereby I first simulate atmospheric boundary conditions to compute precip and (potential) evaporation with distribution through the day, then specify that for simulations including HP1 using time-variable boundary records.

Matt

diederik

Post by diederik » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm

That is true. HP1 does not include water vapour transport, snow hydrology and meteorological conditions. Therefore, these options are disabled in the GUI because they are not supported by HP1.

As you suggest, you can preprocess these processes with regular HYDRUS and then use it as an input in HP1.

Diederik

mwickham

Re: Compatibility limits with HYDRUS with HP1

Post by mwickham » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 am

Diederik,

I have a few more questions regarding this Beta version with gas transport. First, are there any compatibility issues with Windows 7? I am getting Windows error messages where HP1.EXE stops responding without any error messages from HYDRUS or HP1. I have been unable to isolate the problem - without any error messages, it is difficult. Second, is there a more "verbose" compilation for the code that might produce error messages (or identify the process that causes the fault) to help me narrow down the issue?

I would be glad to provide a simple problem set that causes the problem.

Matt

diederik

Post by diederik » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Matt,

I do not encounter any problems with windows 7. Can you send me a simple problem with this problem?

thanks,
Diederik

sathya

Post by sathya » Fri May 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Hello Sir,

I am currently doing my final year master thesis. My project involves reactive transport modelling of tailings. The hydraulic and chemical evolution of the tailings are monitored using lysimeters and two years of data is available for the study. HYDRUS 1D has been very useful to simulate the hydraulic evolution of the tailings for two years in the lysimeters using the precipitation, evapotranspiration and drainage calculated from lysimeter measurements. The simulation satisfactorily matches with the water content measurements of lysimeter only when considering a physical non-equilibrium model that allows us to define different water retension properties for matrix and fracture domains (dual porosity-head mass transfer). I need to extend the simulation to include reactive transport as well and so I used the HP1 option. As a first step, I tried to transport a non-reactive tracer using HP1. When I try to execute the simulation, I get the error message " Error when writing to an output file ! ". With exactly the same input parameters (except the parameters n and alpha seperately for immobile zone), I am able to execute HP1 succesfully if I choose the "dual porosity-mobile-immobile, water c. mass transfer" option, although the theta evolution over time does not satisfactorily correspond to data. I tried looking for examples but could not find any that uses Dual porosity-head mass transfer.

Could you please suggest where I may be making a mistake/what does the error mean?

Thanks,

Sathya.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Sat May 21, 2016 9:58 pm

There was a formatting problem when the dual-porosity model with the head mass transfer was used. You need to replace the Hydrus.dll file in the folder where HYDRUS-1D is installed.

J.
Attachments
Hydrus.rar
(138.42 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

sathya

Post by sathya » Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 am

Thank you very much Sir. The simulation ran without any issues after replacing Hydrus.dll.

Sathya