What happens if solute is in a solid sludge?

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
Ikenna

What happens if solute is in a solid sludge?

Post by Ikenna » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 am

Hello dear Diederick!
Is there a way to model say Pb leaching from solid sludge applied on the surface of soil if concentration is in mg/kg? In the 'HP1 component and database pathway' should you choose "In concentrations" for the boundary condition?
When you choose "In concentrations" input for 'HP1 definitions' disappears and you cannot input parameters like pH and CEC.

Many thanks
Ikenna

diederik

Post by diederik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:28 am

Dear,

what you mean with solid sludge? is that some waste solid material you put on top of your soil? If so, then I would add a small layer of a different material on top of your domain with different chemical (and physical) properties.

When you choose 'in concentrations' you have to define the concentration of each componenet in the HYDRUS GUI. The PHREEQC.in file (with pH, CEC) must then be created outside the GUI and put in the correct directory. We allow this option for compatability with previous versions of the GUI for HP1 projects.

You thus always choos 'solution composition' and define your solution composition (and solid phase composition) through the GUI. If your initial concentration are in mg/kg soil, you should recalculate everything in mg/dm? soil.

Diederik

Ikenna

Post by Ikenna » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 am

Many thanks Diederik,
Your reply is very helpful. I shall try out modelling the sludge input as another material. I may have difficulties though finding accurate water flow parameters for the sludge layer.
Will let you know how it goes.

Kind regards
Ikenna