ATMOSPH.IN related error

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
jhk11

ATMOSPH.IN related error

Post by jhk11 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using HP1 to simulate dissolution and precipitation of calcite in a 5 m deep soil profile. I have been getting an error message, "Error when reading from an input file Atmosph.in !", but have been unable to resolve it. The error message appears at the beginning of the run and the run does not start. The model runs fine if I do not select HP1 in the main processes, so I imagine that the error is related to how I've set up the run with regards to HP1.

To describe the run briefly, I have selected water flow, HP1 and root water uptake as the main processes. I have time-variable boundary conditions (10000 days) at the upper layer and free drainage from the the bottom layer for both water flow and solute transport.

One thing that I suspect is that though I opted for free drainage, there is still a column for the solute concentration of the bottom boundary condition in the "Variable Boundary Conditions" tab. Hydrus wants me to specify a solute composition here (if I don't, I'm given a message that reads, "Solution composition numbers should be larger than 1000! Possible conflicts can occur otherwise"), so I've put the same solution as the upper boundary solution. Regardless of leaving this column filled or blank, I am getting the same error message regarding the ATMOSPH.in file when I try to run this. Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to fix this problem? The file itself looks free of errors, and as I mentioned, if I unselect HP1 or select another solution transport process, the model run proceeds without the error message.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

John

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

John,

Perhaps simply define a bottom boundary solution 4001 - pure water - as follows (in PHREEQC.in file):

solution 4001 bottom boundary solution
#pure water

and in atmosph.in (example):
Time cTop cBot
8 3001 4001

For details see: HP1_Tutorials_II.pdf (on page HYDRUS-1D tutorials)
http://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default.a ... torials#k6

Jirka

jhk11

Post by jhk11 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Jirka,

Thank you for your suggestion--I have been consulting the pdf file you mentioned. Unfortunately, specifying pure water solution as the bottom flux did not fix the problem, so I am not sure if the boundary condition for the solute transport is the cause of my problem. I will try other things to resolve this issue and let you know, but if you have any ideas, please let me know.

One more question just so I understand this correctly--am I correct in thinking that when I specify bottom boundary condition for solute transport to be "zero concentration gradient", the water exiting has the same concentration as the water in our bottom-most layer? If so, is the cBot column in the "Variable boundary conditions" tab not used in the calculations, even though I am asked to specify a solution for the boundary condition?

Thank you again for your post.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

You are right about the free drainage BC. There is actually not even need for a value. Only when you have time variable BCs (eg, for top boundary) you still need to supply some values and the code checks that.

Jirka

diederik

Post by diederik » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

If you can not solve the problem with the boundary condition, you can send me the project. I can have a look at it.

diederik (djacques@sckcen.be)

smile

Re: ATMOSPH.IN related error

Post by smile » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am

Hey, did you find a solution to the problem?

I`m having a very similar problem... I followed the instructions of the tutorial (HP1 Tutorial II, exercise 1, Transport and Dissolution of Gypsum and Calcite). I`m pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly. Right before I can run the program I get the message "Solution composition numbers should be larger than 1000! Possible conflicts can occur otherwise".
I know PhreeqC but I`m totally new to HP1. The solutions have the numbers 1001 and 3001. So I guess the error message addresses another number...
Does anzone know how to fix this?

Thanks a lot,
Anna

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:32 pm

You likely use a number smaller than 1000 when specifying the initial condition (see the Soil Profile Summary window, the column Cnc.Comp) or boundary conditions (in the window Solute Transport Boundary Conditions fer constant BC and Time-Variable Boundary Conditions for transient BCs).

J.

Gecko

Post by Gecko » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am

Hey Jirka,
sorry for my late reply! You were right... I made a mistake when defining the boundary conditions. Thanks for your help!