Kozeny-Carman equation?

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
CS_Walker

Kozeny-Carman equation?

Post by CS_Walker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Is it possible in HYDRUS 1D - PHREEQC to have a porosity change feedback into the transport properties of the system from the dissolution/precipitation of minerals? Something along the lines of the Kozeny-Carman equation?

Thanks,

CSW (^_^) /""

diederik

Post by diederik » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:33 pm

It is not possible with the HP1 version embedded in the the graphical user interface of HYDRUS-1D. However, HP1 version 2.3.001 includes option to have a feedback of geochemical state variables on the transport properties.

The user is completely free in defining the relations between geochemical state variables and transport properties. However, its implementation requires an advanced HP1 user.

A pre-release of this version can be obtained by sending a Email to me (djacques@sckcen.be)

diederik

CS_Walker

Post by CS_Walker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi diederik,

Thanks for the info. How long would it take to become "an advanced user"? I'd consider myself a PHREEQC super-user, but that's only in comparison to other folk I've met/seen using it, but I'm starting to bottleneck on the limited TRANSPORT capabilities of PHREEQC. Is there a user manual for HP1 v2.3.001 and/or does it use a legible syntax? Thanks again for the reply, best regards,

CSW (^_^) /""

diederik

Post by diederik » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 pm

If you are an experienced PHREEQC user, than it might be not to difficult to do the implementation of porosity feedbacks, at least if you are familiar with the BASIC programming in the input file.

To get familiar with HP1, go to the website of HP1 on www.pc-progress.cz and download the manual of 2010. There a some step-by-step instruction to implement projects in HP1.

If everything is going well then, you can start with the porosity update issues.