N(-3) lacking in HP1

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
Bhavna

N(-3) lacking in HP1

Post by Bhavna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 am

I am trying to incorporate a soil column with landfill minerals. I need to study redox in the system. I am unable to enter N(-3) in the list of "HP1-Components". I do see the option N(5) and N(3). I still tried to input N(-3) myself but it says that it needs to be defined. Any suggestion on why I can't use this particular valence state is appreciated. Just a note, only positive valence states are visible in this list.

diederik

Post by diederik » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:09 am

You can add any master species component which are defined in the database [or as new master species in the input file] to the list of components in HP1.

The list given in the GUI is just an example of possible components and it is not complete.

diederik

Bhavna

Post by Bhavna » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank you for your response. I wrote N(-3) in the component list but HP1 was unable to recognize that. Maybe, HP1 is using an older Phreeqc database.
However, I did add N(-3) as a new master species and it has been working fine.

diederik

Post by diederik » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:42 pm

HP1 does not use a predefined database. You define the database of your choice [in the HP1 components and database pathway dialogue window] in the Database Pathway. You should check the database of your choice to see if N(-3) is present or how it is defined.

diederik

Bhavna

Post by Bhavna » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, this seems a much better solution than me adding all the components.
I really appreciate your help in this regard.