HP1- Inverse modeling

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
Bhavna

HP1- Inverse modeling

Post by Bhavna » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I want to study the effects of infiltrating a column that has soil from a landfill site. I know the infiltrating water chemistry and outflow but I want to inversely model the redox couplings taking place in the column. Does the HP1 have any inverse modeling capabilities? or do you have a test version that I could use?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 pm

No, HP1 does not have any inverse capabilities. For that you need to use some external standalone software, such as UCODE, PEST or others. Diederik is, for example, using UCode. See below his abstracts from the EGU meeting in Vienna.

Jirka

EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 02-07 May 2010
HS7.3 Subsurface flow, solute transport and energy processes: Concepts, modelling, and observation

Poster Presentation
Simulating variably-saturated water flow, heat transport, solute transport and biogeochemistry in porous media using HP1

D. Jacques(1), J. Šim?nek(2), D. Mallants(1), M.Th. van Genuchten(3)

(1)Institute for Environment, Health, and Safety, Belgian Nuclear Research Centre (SCK•CEN), Boeretang 200, B-2400 Belgium. djacques@sckcen.be, dmallant@sckcen.be
(2)Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Riverside, Riverside, CA, USA, jiri.Simunek@ucr.edu
(3)Department of Mechanical Engineering, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, rvangenuchten@yahoo.com

Coupling physical and biogeochemical processes within one integrated numerical simulator provides a process-based tool for investigating the fate of contaminants as affected by changing hydrologic regimes and geochemical conditions. The numerical simulator HP1 attempts to bridge these two interactive processes. The code is especially geared for variably-saturated conditions, thus serving as a powerful tool for vadose zone research and engineering applications. HP1 extends the capabilities of HYDRUS-1D to simulate physical soil processes by including the capabilities of PHREEQC to account for biogeochemical processes, all embedded in a user-friendly windows interface. The HP1 reactive transport simulator was obtained by weak, non-iterative coupling of HYDRUS-1D and PHREEQC-2.

A detailed account is given of the new features and processes that were recently incorporated in HP1: (i) full implementation of HP1 into the graphical user interface of HYDRUS-1D, (ii) dynamic changes in porosity, permeability and tortuosity when minerals dissolve or precipitate, and (iii) diffusion of gas components in the gaseous phase. The implementation of the porosity-permeability-tortuosity changes was benchmarked against results from the MIN3P code. HP1 users can implement their own porosity-permeability and porosity-tortuosity relationships using BASIC statements in the input file. Additionally, hydraulic conductivity and pressure head scaling factors can now also vary with time depending upon the geochemical state variables.

An example is further presented in which HP1 is coupled with the model-independent optimization tool UCODE_2005 (Poeter et al., 2005). The resulting software allows thermodynamic, kinetic and geochemical parameters to be estimated from experimental data. The optimization features are illustrated for an experimental data set involving transient water flow, solute transport and cation exchange processes.

References
Poeter, E.P., M.C. Hill, E.R. Banta, S. Mehl, and C. Steen, 2005. UCODE_2005 and six other computer codes for universal sensitivity analysis, calibration and uncertainty evaluation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-A11.

EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 02-07 May 2010
HS7.3 Subsurface flow, solute transport and energy processes: Concepts, modelling, and observation

Poster Presentation

Absorption of artificial piggery effluent by soils: Inverse optimisation of hydraulic, solute transport, and cation exchange parameters using HP1 and UCODE

D. Jacques(1), Chris Smith(2), J. Simunek(3), and D. Smiles(4)

(1): Institute for Environment, Health, and Safety, Belgian Nuclear Research Centre (SCK•CEN), Boeretang 200, B-2400 Belgium. djacques@sckcen.be, dmallant@sckcen.be
(2): CSIRO Land and Water, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia. Chris.J.Smith@csiro.au
(3): Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Riverside, Riverside, CA, USA, jiri.Simunek@ucr.edu

Smiles and Smith (2004) performed controlled laboratory experiments on the transport of major cations (Na, K, Mg, Ca) during water absorption in horizontal soil columns for three different times. Experimental data consists of profiles of water contents, Cl concentrations, total aqueous and sorbed concentrations of the major cations. Numerical simulation of the experimental dataset requires a coupled code that can consider variably-saturated water flow, multi-component solute transport, and geochemical reactions (aqueous complexation and cation exchange). The HP1 code, based on coupled HYDRUS-1D and PHREEQC, is used to simulate this data set. The sorption of the major cations is described as a competitive cation exchange process.

The objective of the study is to calibrate hydraulic, transport, and geochemical parameters using HP1, the universal optimization code UCODE_2005 (Poeter et al., 2005), and the experimental dataset of Smiles and Smith (2004).

The dataset was used to calibrate three types of parameters: soil hydraulic parameters (the parameters of the van Genuchten-Mualem model for the soil hydraulic functions), solute transport parameters (dispersivity), and geochemical parameters (exchange coefficients for the major cations and the cation exchange capacity). Different calibration runs were performed with different sets of input data, different sets of optimized parameters, and different formulations of the cation exchange process (i.e., Gapon, Rothmund-Kornfeld). Overall, the description of the dataset with the coupled code is satisfactory. Estimated parameters are within expected ranges for the type of material used.

References
Poeter, E.P., M.C. Hill, E.R. Banta, S. Mehl, and C. Steen, 2005. UCODE_2005 and six other computer codes for universal sensitivity analysis, calibration and uncertainty evaluation. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-A11.
Smiles, D.E., and C.J. Smith, 2004. Absorption of artificial piggery effluent by soil: A laboratory study. Australian J. Soil Res., 42:96-975.

Bhavna

Post by Bhavna » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Thank you for your response

diederik

Post by diederik » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 am

Bhavna,

I have an example with a little information for applying UCODE. I can send that to you if you are interested,

Diederik

Bhavna

Post by Bhavna » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Diederik,
The example would help a lot. I have just been reading about UCODE but an application with HP1 would be great.
My id is: bhavna_saggi@yahoo.com
Thanks for your help,
Bhavna

aamc

Re: HP1- Inverse modeling

Post by aamc » Thu May 25, 2017 1:41 pm

I am trying to setup a way to do inverse modeling with HP1. Running Hydrus 1D through command prompt, in order to setup automated runs of the model, appears not to run the PhreeQC component:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PC-Progress\Hydrus-1D 4.xx\H1D_CALC.EXE"

I have tried this with the "HP1.EXE" file, but the directory file setup must be different in this case, because the input files are not found when I try this. Is there a way to do automated runs through command prompt with HP1?

Thanks in advance.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 pm

When h1d_calc.exe is run outside of the GUI, it requires the Level_01.dir file with the information about the path to the input/output files (to the working folder). When HP1.exe is run outside of the GUI, it requires instead the path.dat file, with the same information. J.

aamc

Post by aamc » Thu May 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Works perfectly. Thanks! Adrian

Cuneyd

Post by Cuneyd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Dear Jirka,

Could you give hint also on calling Hydrus2d/3D from command prompt to connect PEST and HYDRUS to calibrate water flow parameters?

We try this one but this just opens the project gui.

./Hydrus3D 'C:/Users/Erdal/Desktop/Hydrus_R1/15+15+15_R1_vG.h3d2'

Kind Regards,
Cüneyd
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4402-906X

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 pm

FAQ4: How to run computational modules outside of GUI ?
https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... q-01-10#k4