How could I apply HP 1 for my work ?

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
Srilert

How could I apply HP 1 for my work ?

Post by Srilert » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:02 am

Dear all,

In my study, I conducted column experiments of lateritic soil from mining area (uncontaminated soil). Then, I injected heavy metals into saturated columns under pH 4 and 5. Before I injected heavy metals, I controlled constant pH with NaAc buffer. After I got the results, I described the sorption behaviors using HYDRUS-1D. I found the the chemical non-equilibrium condition (two-site model) occur in my experimental results (heavy metal transport nder both pHs). However, I got the suggestions from reviewer to use HP1 for my systems but when I try to use it, I found that HP1 are allowed to apply only equilibrium or physical nonequilibrium. How should I do ?

From my study, Can I use HP1 to fit my experimental results?

I am not sure how should I started for HP1.

Please advise me.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 pm

HP1 is not an easy program to use. However, when you know how to use it, it is a very powerful program. You can consider both equilibrium and nonequilibrium (kinetic conditions). When considering kinetic conditions, you need to describe the rate of the reaction (e.g., sorption or dissolution) using short basic programs that can be defined at the input. Please, look at the examples that are distributed with the program (there may be some also in the H1D library).

Jirka