Water flow and solute transport

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
MYZKsant

Water flow and solute transport

Post by MYZKsant » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 am

Hello everyone!

I am trying to simulate water flow and solute transport from a saturated column leaching test using the dual-porosity (mobile -immobile, water content mass transfer). With my current input and set up, the program runs with no problem but I do not see a movement of solute from immobile to mobile. I have tried changing the omega parameter (w) up to 100/day, using concentration gradient (immobile>mobile) and distributing the Qr and Qs of both immobile and mobile but still no transfer of solute or water from immobile to mobile. My concentration set up is quite simple just using Na and Cl and Halite as the mineral of the equilibrium phases.

The Hydrus hydraulic parameters and HP1 definitions are:
キャプチャ.JPG
キャプチャ.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 302 times
My questions are:
1) Is the saturated condition affecting the equilibrium, therefore no movement from immobile to mobile?
2) What options can use or parameters to achieve a movement of water and solute from immobile to mobile in using HYDRUS-1D and HP1?
3) Is it necessary to used HYDRUS-2D for this type of models?

I would appreciate any comments or responds!
Thank you

Jirka

Re: Water flow and solute transport

Post by Jirka » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm

I think that a good modeling practice, before attempting to carry out simulations with HP1, is always to start with the standard HYDRUS-1D, to get flow and transport right. Then, you should more easily find what you are doing wrong (with the physical setup), without being distracted by the geochemistry of HP1. Also, you can download many examples on the HYDRUS website, testing these nonequilibrium models. J.