Horizontal flow in Hydrus 1D

The HP1 code incorporates modules simulating
(1) transient water flow in variably-saturated media,
(2) transport of multiple components, and
(3) mixed equilibrium/kinetic geochemical reactions.
lotbaert

Horizontal flow in Hydrus 1D

Post by lotbaert » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Dear Hydrus users

I would like to use horizontal flow (decline from vertical axes = 0) in Hydrus 1D, but I’m facing some interpretation issues.

I’m not really sure how I should interpret the Soil Profile Graphical Editor in this case. Can I interpret this in the same way as for vertical flow (node 1 at the soil surface and node 101 at the bottom of the soil profile) or do I have to interpret this as node 1=the left side of the soil profile and node 101 the right side? In the latter case, the ‘depth of the soil profile’ in the ‘geometry information’ window needs to be seen as the distance between the left- and right hand side of the soil profile?

Furthermore, I have the same issue with the output (post-processing, profile information). Do I have to interpret the Y axis as the depth in the soil profile (identical as for vertical flow) or the distance between the left- and right hand side of the soil profile (with 0 = the left side and the maximum value the right side)?

Finally, how should the question described above be interpreted when an inclined flow is used? (decline from vertical axis between 0 and 1).

Thank you in advance for your answer

Lotte

Jirka

Re: Horizontal flow in Hydrus 1D

Post by Jirka » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Sure, we do not rotate the graph for horizontal flow and use the same ones as for vertical flow. You need to interpret the top in the graph as the left end, and the bottom as the right end. Similarly, top fluxes are the fluxes at the left side and the bottom fluxes at the right side.

You can interpret the value (i.e., the decline from vertical) as the extent of gravity. It is zero for horizontal flow and one for vertical flow, and somewhere in between for moon, etc.
J.