Request for guidance regarding the interception term in Hydrus1D

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
Hydraus_1d_RD

Request for guidance regarding the interception term in Hydrus1D

Post by Hydraus_1d_RD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Dear all,
I hope my email finds you well. I have a request for guidance regarding the interception term for my model for my field site that has seasonal snowpack. I used a model to convert the precipitation time series into rain and snowmelt, which I then used as precipitation input to my Hydrus-1D model.
I have a problem with the interception term for my model that includes vegetation. I’m okay with the default intercept term for the days when there is no snowpack or snowmelt input to the total precipitation values. However, for the days that have melt input to total precipitation, I don’t want any interception applied to the precipitation input to the Hydrus model. Would you please let me know if there is any way I can do that?
Thank you for your guidance in advance.
Sincerely,
A Hydrus-1D user

Jirka

Re: Request for guidance regarding the interception term in Hydrus1D

Post by Jirka » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Interception and snow cannot be used simultaneously, only one or the other. J.

Hydraus_1d_RD

Post by Hydraus_1d_RD » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Jirka, I'm not using any snow module in Hydrus-1D. I used a separate model for estimating snowmelt rate from a snowpack. Using the snowpack melt rate and rain fall rate, I made a time series that has two columns: (a) precipitation amount (cm/day) and (b) melt flag- which is 0 if fractional contribution of melt in precipitation is zero and 1 if there is any contribution from snowpack melt. I'd now like to use this time series in Hydrus-1D for precipitation. However, I also would like to set the interception terms to zero if the melt flag is 1 or use the built-in routine if the melt flag is zero on any daily time step. Would you please let me know how I may implement this is Hydrus-1D?
Sincerely,
A Hydrus-1D user

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:35 pm

You may not. J.