Electric conductivity and solute concentration

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
madegeogr

Electric conductivity and solute concentration

Post by madegeogr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:21 am

Hi,
I am interested in using Hydrus to investigate the dynamic effects of salinity (present in irrigated water) while penetrating through different soil types.
I found many works in literature that use Hydrus1D for that purpose, in which they discuss the electric conductivity EC by solving the solute transport equation, which involves the solute concentration C instead. I found that these quantities are proportional, but none of the papers that I have read discuss it. My question is: Can I import EC values in Hydrus, which will subsequently convert it to C values, or should I make the conversion prior importing it to the software? Are there any standard/empirical expressions that are recommended for that purpose?

Jirka

Re: Electric conductivity and solute concentration

Post by Jirka » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:34 pm

I suggest that you read the following two papers, where we discuss these issues. Note that some simulations from these papers are posted on the HYDRUS website. J.

Ramos, T. B., J. Šimůnek, M. C. Gonçalves, J. C. Martins, A. Prazeres, N. L. Castanheira, and L. S. Pereira, Field evaluation of a multicomponent solute transport model in soils irrigated with saline waters, Journal of Hydrology, 407(1-4), 129-144, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.07.016, 2011.

Ramos, T. B., J. Šimůnek, M. C. Gonçalves, J. C. Martins, A. Prazeres, and L. S. Pereira, Two-dimensional modeling of water and nitrogen fate from sweet sorghum irrigated with fresh and blended saline waters, Agricultural Water Management, 111, 87-104, doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.2012.05.007, 2012.

madegeogr

Re: Electric conductivity and solute concentration

Post by madegeogr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks Jirka, I will