No result after successful calculation

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
Sasan

No result after successful calculation

Post by Sasan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi

I have been using inverse approach to simulate change of head with rainfall event for a specific period. In this approach, I ask software to estimate alpha, Ks, n, and l. At the end of calculation, software gives this message: "Calculations have finished successfully". However, I can not see the simulation results after pressing enter (attached photo). May you please help me solving this problem. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Calculation.png
Calculation.png (78.89 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Jirka

Re: No result after successful calculation

Post by Jirka » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm

I cannot see how this could happen. Can you post your project? J.

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Jirka wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm
I cannot see how this could happen. Can you post your project? J.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I solved this problem. However, I have faced another problem. After doing inversion, the minimum predicted head is about -100 cm. This seems the software sets the saturated head equal to -100 cm (not 0 cm). On the other word, the upper limit for head is -100 cm not 0 cm. How can I fix this problem so that the upper limit for head approaches 0 cm? Thank you again for your help.
Attachments
Saturation limit.png
Saturation limit.png (34.37 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:19 pm

HYDRUS does not recognize any upper limit on the pressure head. It has upper and lower limits only for the Atmospheric BC. J.

Dani

Post by Dani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem (see attached document), and so far I still have solved, It did not have this problem for similar models. Any idea how to solve will be helpful, maybe it is just a dumb mistake.

Thanks

Best regards,
Dani
Attachments
No result.zip
(24.01 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:32 pm

The problem is badly defined. It’s impossible to estimate five soil hydraulic parameters from the solute BTC for a column with constant flux conditions. J.

Dani

Post by Dani » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:48 am

Oh, I did not know that. Might I ask you how do you know that it is badly defined. I mean I know that If I have an unknown I will need 1 equation, if I have 5 unknowns then 5 equations (that are linear independent between them). So I wonder, how can I know (before hand) if it is well or bad defined? And why it is sometimes working for similar set-ups(E.g. attached files Results --> works and No results --> does not work).

Thanks
Attachments
Results.zip
(356.2 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
No results.zip
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm

I think you should read some texts on Uniqueness, identifiability, stability, and ill-posedness of the inverse solution. We have written some texts on the topic (see below). You cannot expect to be able to fit parameters that do not affect the measured data. J.

Šimůnek, J., and J. W. Hopmans, Parameter Optimization and Nonlinear Fitting, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 1.7, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 139-157, 2002.

Hopmans, J. W., J. Šimůnek, N. Romano, and W. Durner, Inverse Modeling of Transient Water Flow, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 3.6.2, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 963-1008, 2002.

Šimůnek, J., M. Th. van Genuchten, D. Jacques, J. W. Hopmans, M. Inoue, and M. Flury, Solute Transport During Variably-Saturated Flow - Inverse Methods, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 6.6, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 1435-1449, 2002.

Šimůnek, J., M. Th. van Genuchten, and M. Šejna, HYDRUS: Model use, calibration and validation, Special issue on Standard/Engineering Procedures for Model Calibration and Validation, Transactions of the ASABE, 55(4), 1261-1274, 2012.

Dani

Post by Dani » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks