Warm up period

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
hzk0065@auburn.edu

Warm up period

Post by hzk0065@auburn.edu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Dear Users,

I am trying to run HYDRUS 1D for actual field conditions to simulate matric potentials. I have continuously measured matric potential data, irrigation and precipitation data, and soil hydraulic parameters measured using HYPROP experiment. Do we need to use a warm-up period for simulations? I have run the model in both conditions with and without warm-up periods. However, I am not getting right simulations in both scenarios, but my simulations are better in case of "without warm-up periods" than "with warm-up period". Please let me know if someone has experienced this issue.

Thanks!
HK

Jirka

Re: Warm up period

Post by Jirka » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm

If you do not know the initial condition for your simulation, then it would be better to "warm up" the model to get realistic initial conditions. J.

hzk0065@auburn.edu

Post by hzk0065@auburn.edu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Dear Professor Simunek,

Thank you so much for quick response. I really appreciate it.

Thanks!
HK

T ze

Post by T ze » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:43 am

I am curious about how to "warm up" the model?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

This obviously depends on the type of the application. For simulations of natural system, it is common to run the model for few years to get some reasonable initial conditions. The number of years depends greatly on the climate; it can be shorter for humid climates than for arid climates. J.