Making ATMOSPH.IN File Larger

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
crhansen

Making ATMOSPH.IN File Larger

Post by crhansen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I am trying to run HYDRUS-1D with 35,000 rows of P and PET data, but this means I have to manually edit the ATMOSPH.IN file. I have read the FAQ on this topic, which says I should use Notepad or similar program to edit the ATMOSPH.IN file. I fully understand that part and am comfortable using Notepad. But my original P and PET data are in MS-Excel, and when I try to copy and paste from MS-EXCEL into the ATMOSPH.IN file (which is open in Notepad), the new data does not line up with the data already in the file. I can't see how to force the data coming from Excel to match the pre-existing format text / data format in ATMOSPH.IN. Has anyone else had this problem ? Is there another text editor which might be better than Notepad ? So far, I have tried using Notepad and Wordpad, and used "Paste Special" to force Excel to copy in as text only, but still can't get it right.

CH

crhansen

Re: Making ATMOSPH.IN File Larger

Post by crhansen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 pm

I tried again and this time I made the edits in MS-EXCEL, saved the file as a .txt, cleaned up the headers and footers, and re-named the file as ATMOSPH.IN. HYDRUS-1D executed successfully with the updated file with 35064 rows of data. So sorry but please disregard my post (problem solved).

CH

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved the problem. That is appreciated. Very few people inform us about positive outcomes (only about the negative ones). J.

paolino80

Post by paolino80 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi

I use this MATLAB script to build the file ATMOSPH.IN with several rows of daily P, Ep and Tp:

c1=[1:ly]'; % max number of rows

c2=input(:,1); % net Precipitation
c3=input(:,2); % rSoil, pot evaporation
c4=input(:,4); % rRoot, pot transpiration
c5=(100000)*ones(ly,1);% hCritA
c6=zeros(ly,1); % rB
c7=zeros(ly,1); % hB
c8=zeros(ly,1); % ht

ATM_INPUTmod=[c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6 c7 c8]; % I build the matrix to set up the file ATMOSPH.IN

a=fopen('original_ATM.IN','r'); % I read the original file of ATMOSPH.IN
b=fopen('ATMOSPH.IN','w');
i=1; %check that in line 4 the number is laET=length(c1)!!!!!
while 1;
s= fgetl(a);
if ~ischar(s), break,end
if feof(a) , break,end

if i<10
fprintf(b,'%s\r\n',s);
else

fprintf(b,'%11.0f %11.5f %11.5f %11.5f %11g %11g %11g %11g\r\n',ATM_INPUTmod');
fprintf(b,'end*** END OF INPUT FILE ''ATMOSPH.IN'' *************************************\r\n');
break
end
i=i+1;
end

fclose (a);
fclose (b);