Inverse Model

A discussion forum for Hydrus-1D users.
Grant

Inverse Model

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 am

Hello everyone,

I only have breakthrough curve data. Is this sufficient enough to conduct inverse modeling to estimate hydraulic and solute parameters?

Jirka

Re: Inverse Model

Post by Jirka » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:51 pm

No. J.

Grant

Post by Grant » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:00 am

Thank you for answering. Could you please tell me what experiment I need to do in order to have all the data needed to conduct inverse modeling to estimate hydraulic and solute parameters? Although, I am a new user of Hydrus, I have read some journals and the manual but cannot find the exact answer. Granulated ash material with diameter range of 4-20 mm is the adsorbent that I am using is not included in the Hydrus soil catalog. I don't know how to get data for Type 0 -15. Thank you in advance for answering.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:03 pm

First, this question is not about HYDRUS, and second, goes way beyond short posts in this discussion forum. I suggest that you look at the following book, which discusses these issues in detail:

Dane, J. H. and G. C. Topp (eds.), Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 139-157, 2002.

In particular, the following two chapters:
Hopmans, J. W., J. Šimůnek, N. Romano, and W. Durner, Inverse Modeling of Transient Water Flow, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 3.6.2, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 963-1008, 2002.

Šimůnek, J., M. Th. van Genuchten, D. Jacques, J. W. Hopmans, M. Inoue, and M. Flury, Solute Transport During Variably-Saturated Flow - Inverse Methods, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 6.6, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 1435-1449, 2002.

J.