Adapting Vrugt parameters in input file (without GUI)

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
sgarre

Adapting Vrugt parameters in input file (without GUI)

Post by sgarre » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Dear,
I would like to launch several versions of a hydrus simulation where only the root distribution (Max depth and Depth of max uptake, Vrugt model) is changing. To do that, we would like to automatically write several versions of the input file where these are defined, but I can't find it in my project. Where should it be?

Best regards,
Sarah

Jirka

Re: Adapting Vrugt parameters in input file (without GUI)

Post by Jirka » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Sarah,

If you consider time-invariable root zone (i.e., not root growth), you can not do that since the parameters are entered in the GUI and the Beta function is calculated in the GUI. However, you should be able to do that if you use the new root growth option (in version 3). In this case, the Vrugt parameters are given in the Selector.in file (after the Feddes parameters) and the Beta function is calculated by the computational module (since it may vary in time). If you do not want to have root growth, you simply need to select such growth parameters, resulting in no growth.

Jirka

sgarre

Post by sgarre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for the tip Jirka. Like this I think we can run what we need!

sgarre

Post by sgarre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 am

Dear Jirka,

I tried this out, but like this I don't manage to create a 1D root distribution extended in the X-dimension in my 2D domain. Here is the input file.
SELECTOR.IN.txt
selector.in RWU with option root growth, but selected no growth
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
I am trying to do a homogeneous grass field (so basically a 1D root distribution with depth extended in the 2nd dimension) and generate this for different cultivars with slightly different rooting depths .

Best, Sarah

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Sarah,

I cannot say from what you posted. Why don’t you start with one of the posting examples: https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... RootGrowth, to see what you are doing wrong?

J.