Reservoir impounding condition

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Biswajyoti

Reservoir impounding condition

Post by Biswajyoti » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 pm

I wanted to incorporate reservoir impounding condition on the upstream face of the embankment in my model at a rate 2.8 m per day. So I used variable pressure head condition which is increasing by 2.8 m per day till it reaches 14m which is the height of embankment. The problem I am facing is that the minimum total stress at the bottom node of the upstream face is not changing with time which should have changed. Kindly suggest what mistake I am making so that minimum and maximum total changes at the bottom node of upstream face changes due to reservoir impounding.

Jirka

Re: Reservoir impounding condition

Post by Jirka » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:11 pm

To have a gradual increase in the boundary pressure head, rather than a step increase, you need to select in the “Boundary Condition Option” dialog window the check box “Interpolate Time-Variable Pressure Head and Flux Boundary Condition in time”. J.

Biswajyoti

Post by Biswajyoti » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 am

If I want to apply the condition you have told should I have to change the values in Var H-1 column in the time variable boundary conditions window where I have entered values of 2.8 m for day 1 then 5.6m for day 2 and so on before clicking on edit boundary conditions option and giving tick to "interpolate time variable pressure head and flux boundary conditions in time".

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, of course. That should not be so difficult to test, without posting the question, right? J.

Biswajyoti

Post by Biswajyoti » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:23 pm

No actually the problem I am facing is even after doing that the minimum total head at the bottom node of the upstream face is not increasing much even though the water level in the reservoir is rising. As per basic concept the total stress needs to increase by an amount of unit weight of water multiplied by the height of water in the reservoir for each day but that is not happening in my case.