Infiltration rate in Hydrus 2D

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
ES_92

Infiltration rate in Hydrus 2D

Post by ES_92 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Hello,
I am simulating a 2D model (40 cm X 60 cm) for subsurface porous pipe to determine the infiltration rate. The subsurface pipe has constant boundary flux of 4.14 cm/hour. In the Cum_Q.out file as far as I have understood cum Q1 value is the infiltration and the unit is in L^2 for different time steps, if I want to convert the rate to L, should I divide all these values by the length (40 cm) of the model domain?
Also, is the constant boundary flux independent of the system? If I want to simulate the infiltration which depends on the soil properties, how should I proceed? I have not considered any atmospheric boundary for my model, only flux boundary through the pipe. Because I want to simulate how does the pipe behaves in different soil types. Any insight will be really helpful Thanks.
Attachments
infiltration.PNG
infiltration.PNG (101.28 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Jirka

Re: Infiltration rate in Hydrus 2D

Post by Jirka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:05 pm

The Cum_Q.out file gives cumulative values of boundary fluxes. The units, for 2D applications, are L^2, which you can interpret as L^3/L (i.e., per unit length in the perpendicular direction to the transport domain).

If you use a constant flux BC, then infiltration will be independent of the texture. If you use a constant head BC, then infiltration will depend on the texture.
J.