Root distribution

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
SuryaTV

Root distribution

Post by SuryaTV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 am

Hi..
I am simulating vertical flow constructed wetland using the HYDRUS CW2D model. In the pilot-scale unit, I have used 8 nos. of plant. I have successfully simulated solute transport without considering plants. However, while simulating root uptake, I couldn't find an option to enter the location of plant roots in the model. Can anyone provide the guidelines for doing the same?

Thanks & Regards,
Surya T. V.

Jirka

Re: Root distribution

Post by Jirka » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 pm

The Wetland and UnsatChem (and other specialized add-on) modules currently do not consider root growth as in the standard module, see:

Šimůnek, J., M. Šejna, and M. Th. van Genuchten, New features of version 3 of the HYDRUS (2D/3D) computer software package, Journal of Hydrology and Hydromechanics, 66(2), 133-142, doi: 10.1515/johh-2017-0050, 2018.

The Wetland (and other add-on) module assumes that the spatial root distribution (the Beta function) is constant in time and has to be entered either manually or using the Vrugt et al. (2001) functions.

Saying that, I have recently implemented the same root growth module as in the standard module also into the Wetlands and UnsatChem computational modules. However, we still do not have it in the GUI. This will likely be included into the first update in 2021.

J.

SuryaTV

Re: Root distribution

Post by SuryaTV » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 am

Thank you.