Fixing Observation nodes in 3D project

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
MD.Abdul Kader

Fixing Observation nodes in 3D project

Post by MD.Abdul Kader » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:30 am

Dear sir,
I want to simulate water flow in plastic mulching soil using 3D layered domain. I tried to make an observation node inside a layered solid. I am facing problems with fixing observation nodes at -5, -15 and -25 cm depths. I inserted a point and change the point to an observation node. However, the observation node at correct point was disappeared after generating FE-mesh.
How to fix observation point at -5, -15 and -25 cm depths?
One more questions, although inverse solution is not applicable for 3D, therefore, which parameters can be mofied to get better fitting of simulated soil moisture.

Please have a look on the attached project file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11FlIz9 ... sp=sharing

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Mohammad Abdul Kader
Phd student
Kyoto University, Japan.

Mirek

Re: Fixing Observation nodes in 3D project

Post by Mirek » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:50 am

The solution is different for the 3D-Layered and 3D-General domains, both solutions are explained in the attached figures. In your case (3D-Layered domain) you must define Observation Nodes at FE-Mesh nodes, not in the geometric points. Figure 1 just explains how to make the FE-mesh to have nodes at the desired points (-5, -15, -25 cm). In a 3D-General domain, the observation nodes can be defined in geometric points (see Fig. 2).

Layered_Domain.jpg
Layered_Domain.jpg (187.7 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
General_Domain.jpg
General_Domain.jpg (227.66 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

RamaPal

Post by RamaPal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Hello,
I want to simulate water flow in a Vertical Subsurface Flow Constructed Wetland using 2D simple domain (X= 100 cm, Z= 50 cm). I am facing a problem while inserting observation nodes exactly at 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 cm depths. Instead of this, I can fix observation nodes only at near about values like 4, 11.53, 21.63, 30.32, 39.68 and 50 cm depths.
And, another problem is that after running the calculation, I can see the graphical display of results only, not the information (i.e. X-Y graphs of data).

Please see the attachment.
2021-01-13 (1).png
2021-01-13 (1).png (398.25 KiB) Viewed 952 times

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm

A "Simple Domain" is intended for simple things, i.e. observation nodes can only be placed at mesh nodes (although they are not located where you want). If you want to have a better control over the location of observation nodes, use the 2D-General domain type. As for the missing results for the observation nodes, nothing at all can be deduced from your picture. Because the results are displayed correctly in many thousands of other projects, the most likely reason for the missing results is some incorrect input data settings.

RamaPal

Post by RamaPal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:52 am

Thank you Mirek Sir. It was some incorrect input data setting.