Dual porosity / Dual permeability

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Kathrine

Dual porosity / Dual permeability

Post by Kathrine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Dear Prof. Jirka,

I am using dual-porosity and dual-permeability approach in Hydrus 2D. I would like to ask you a question related to dual-porosity approach.

Using the dual-porosity approach, can we assume that we simulate the direct inflow of precipitation into macropores of the top boundary neglecting the degree of saturation in the immobile region? Because I want to simulate the direct connection between macropores and tile drainage network in an agriculture field.

Because in the dual-permeability you can set the % of water that goes directly into macropores in GUI ("Fraction of Boundary Flux into Fracture").

Thank you in advance

Jirka

Re: Dual porosity / Dual permeability

Post by Jirka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:51 pm

Since in the dual-permeability model there are two mobile domains, one needs to decide into which domain water flows (e.g., infiltration). However, in the dual-porosity model there is only one mobile (and one immobile domain), all water flow to the mobile domain. The interactions between the mobile and immobile domains are then govern by the mass transfer term. J.