Mesh Lines and confirming cumulative boundary flux rates

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
mortsde

Mesh Lines and confirming cumulative boundary flux rates

Post by mortsde » Fri May 24, 2019 5:37 am

Jirka and Mirek,

Thanks in advance and apologies for asking a question that probably has been asked and answered many times.

I'm interested in applying unit gradient boundary conditions at multiple locations and I'm wondering if there is a way to separate flux rates at the boundary. I'm simulating a lysimeter with lateral drainage measurements and deep percolation measurements.

I've tried using mesh-lines at each boundary location - however - I have noticed other users and Jirka has replied that mesh-lines are calculated with less precision than boundary conditions. I also recall that boundary condition types (free drainage - seepage faces - etc.) cannot be calculated separately, even if multiple conditions exist.

I'm hopeful you have suggestions for creative solutions to this problem and/or can correct my misconception. For the record, WatBalR is low at approximately 0.3%.

Again - thanks for your time.
Alex

Jirka

Re: Mesh Lines and confirming cumulative boundary flux rates

Post by Jirka » Fri May 24, 2019 1:09 pm

First, I think you can use mesh-lines for this (especially if you want to have both actual and cumulative fluxes). I do not think that the fluxes across meshlines are calculated with less precision. The same approach is used for those calculations as for calculations of boundary fluxes. You can define up to four meshlines.

Second, in the Boundary.out file, you can find nodal fluxes for all boundary nodes at a particular print time. If you add fluxes for selected nodes, you should get your actual boundary flux. However, in this way you will not get the cumulative flux.

J.

mortsde

Re: Mesh Lines and confirming cumulative boundary flux rates

Post by mortsde » Fri May 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Jirka.