How can I simulate zero runoff in a soil column simulation?

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
bsaghaei

How can I simulate zero runoff in a soil column simulation?

Post by bsaghaei » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi,
I am simulating a 30 ft soil column which is outdoor with the goal of simulating its water balance parameters, especially evaporation of the column.
The percolation of the column is being collected, the weather data is recorded by a complete weather station set up near the column, and there are multiple sensors to record soil water content of the column.
However, the runoff of the column (Precipitation-Infiltration) is not being collected, so whenever the precipitation is more than infiltration, ponding happens.
So, for simulating the column, I assume I have to make the runoff zero so that whenever precipitation is more than infiltration, it is considered as ponded water and stays on top of the column.

My question is: How can I control the runoff and make it zero in the simulation so that the column can have ponding?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jirka

Re: How can I simulate zero runoff in a soil column simulation?

Post by Jirka » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:53 am

HYDRUS (2D/3D) assumes that all excess water (i.e., Precipitation-Infiltration) is instantaneously removed by surface runoff. On the other hand, in HYDRUS-1D you can select the "Atmospheric BC with a Surface Layer" and water will accumulate at the surface until specified thickness layer is reached. See examples of these different options at https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... -atmospher. Considering that you mention soil column, you can perhaps use HYDRUS-1D. J.

bsaghaei

Re: How can I simulate zero runoff in a soil column simulation?

Post by bsaghaei » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Thank you so much for your response, it was really helpful :)