Relevant soil parameters for Furrow irrigation simulation in Hydrus

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
BartUU

Relevant soil parameters for Furrow irrigation simulation in Hydrus

Post by BartUU » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Hello all!

I am new to this forum and hope one of you guys could help me out with a couple of questions I have concerning HYDRUS 2-D :D :P

I am currently writing my master thesis on the spatial and temporal effects of Contour trenches on the soil water content in the (sub) soil. I would like to model (in HYDRUS) how the water collected in the trenches will spread in the subsurface over time and space. I believe HYDRUS is very well equipped for this aim, since I have read that it is often applied to simulate a similar situation in furrow irrigation. Where, once a trench is filled with water, it can basically be seen as a full furrow, where the water inside the trench/furrow infiltrates into the subsoil over time.

For this thesis I am going to a specific research location in Murcia, Spain where I will be able to do some field measures on soil parameters of interest. Now, my question is, which soil parameters do I have to determine as input for my HYDRUS-modelling? would porosity, saturated hydraulic conductivity and soil texture suffice? It concerns a basic modelling project, and it does not have to be to specific/elaborate. As long as it is sort of realistic.

If any of you guys has some information for me on this, that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance :)

Best,
Bart

Jirka

Re: Relevant soil parameters for Furrow irrigation simulation in Hydrus

Post by Jirka » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm

You will need soil hydraulic properties (SHP), i.e., retention curve and hydraulic conductivity function. These functions are described using the van Genuchten-Mualem model and soil hydraulic parameters for this model. If you do not measure (SHP) directly, you can estimate them from soil texture (% of sand, silt, and clay, and bulk density) from the Rosetta module implemented in HYDRUS. J.