Root distribution /root water uptake

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
nessrine

Root distribution /root water uptake

Post by nessrine » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm

dear Jrika
I'm working with Hydrus 2D/3D version and I'm little confused about the scale of the root water uptake in the domain properties that means the density of roots or what exactly ?

In my case I'm trying to calibrate the water flow under sub-surface drip irrigation with the inverse method and then I will calibrate the solute transport seperatly and I'm confused here if I should take into account the solute stress in the calibration of water flow or not (the irrigation water is 4dS/m). what is your reommendation in this point .?

Thank you for your help in advance

Jirka

Re: Root distribution /root water uptake

Post by Jirka » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Root water and solute uptake model: You should look either at the technical manual or at the Simunek and Hopmans (2009) paper, where we give all information about this model.

Šimůnek, J., and J. W. Hopmans, Modeling compensated root water and nutrient uptake, Ecological Modeling, 220(4), 505-521, doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2008.11.004, 2009.

To consider the salinity stress: That depends on the considered crop and its tolerance to salinity. Note the HYDRUS GUI gives you parameters for the salinity stress response function for multiple different crops.

Jirka

nessrine

Post by nessrine » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:06 pm

dear Jirka

thank you for your reply

in fact, I work on data-palm trees; and in the hydrus database for the solute stress model, I can not find it; even I can not find the deciduous fruit.

so it is correct to calibrate the water flow with inverse model (with out considering the solute stress model I consider only water stress model) and then once I get the van-gunechten parameters I calibrate the solute transport always with the inverse model and at this part I take into-account the solute stress. . ,?
please Exuse me if I ask very simple questions I just start working with hydrus 2d and the inverse model

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:26 pm

If you cannot find a particular crop in the HYDRUS database, you need to look into literature (and HYDRUS references). I believe that I have seen several manuscripts in which HYDRUS has been used for problems associated with palm trees.

If the salinity stress is an important factor, then you should consider it during model calibration (inverse problem). If you neglect an important factor, the calibrated parameters will have to somehow account for this factor and will be unrealistic.

J.

nessrine

Post by nessrine » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm

ok thank you for your reply :) :)