Want to change Reservoir condition

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Mark

Want to change Reservoir condition

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:49 am

I am using HYDRUS ver 3 and now trying to model the furrow irrigation with inverse solution.
I used new boundary condition, reservoir boundary.
Now I am worrying about the non-irrigation timing because in no irrigation timing, the reservoir boundary is unnecesary and only atmospheric condition is needed.
So I want somebody to tell me how to divide reservoir boundary and atmoshperic boundary in time.

Jirka

Re: Want to change Reservoir condition

Post by Jirka » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am

If you specify atmospheric fluxes (precipitation and evaporation), they will be automatically considered for the reservoir (i.e., precipitation will add water and evaporation will remove water from the reservoir). If you use the “Boundary Condition Option” “Apply Atmospheric Boundary Condition to nonactive Seepage Face”, the atmospheric BC will be use in the empty part of the reservoir. J.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:33 am

Thank you, Mr. Jirka.
I understand how atmospheric condition works on the reservoir boundary condition.

I have another question.
How can I divide "the situation where reservoir exists" and "the situaion where reservoir doesn't exist" in one simulation?
I want to simulate the water movement in the field with furrow irrigation.
My inverse solution data includes both before and after irrigation.
So I want to simulate from before to after irrigation in one simulation.
Hence, the boundary condition of furrow must be "atmosperic condition without reservoir" and be "reservoir condition" in the middle of irrigation.

I checked the website of pc-progress and found that
by setting variable flux-1 I can change the amount of water which puts into the reservoir. But, it wasn't worked well.
How can I change the reservoir depth and make empty reservoir in the certain time?
Also does empty reservoir means water head is 0 ?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 am

Have you looked at our Boundary Reservoir examples at https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... eservoirBC? I believe that we have there a Furrow example with multiple irrigation cycles. J.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 am

Have you looked at our Boundary Reservoir examples at https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... eservoirBC? I believe that we have there a Furrow example with multiple irrigation cycles. J.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks, Mr. Jirka.
I have used the example of furrow irrigation and succeded in forward simulation.
But in inverse solution, it didn't go well. Can reservoir condition apply to inverse solution?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am

I have not tested this option in the inverse mode. However, I do not see any reason why it should not work. I would test it on some simple example with generated data (simple BCs and one observation points) whether it works or not. I’m currently traveling in Patagonia and thus cannot do it myself. Greetings from Tiera del Fuego. J.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks a lot for your help!!