Size of colloids in C-ride module

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Jaeshik Chung

Size of colloids in C-ride module

Post by Jaeshik Chung » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:46 am

Hi, I am a newbie to HYDRUS and nice to meet you (used TOUGHREACT before).
Recently, I am trying to use C-Ride module to simulate the transport of particles (eg. microplastic) from the ground surface.
Not sure if I can do this with Hydrus though, have some questions.
I think the module assumes colloids are spherical but how about the size? do they treat all the colloids in the same size? then how large??
Can we change those? Since I believe size matters much in straining process.
Thank you :D .

Jaeshik Chung, from KIST, Korea

Jirka

Re: Size of colloids in C-ride module

Post by Jirka » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

The size of the colloids is considered only when one uses “Filtration Theory” to calculate the attachment coefficients. Otherwise, a user specifies all parameters (attachment, blocking, etc) as input parameters and thus the size of colloids has to be considered in these parameters by the user him/herself. J.

Jaeshik Chung

Post by Jaeshik Chung » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:03 am

Thank you for the kind reply from Dr. Šimůnek. Still, I have a small, additional question.

1) If so, is there a general relationship (or references) between the size of colloid and the attachment/blocking coefficients? since I am afraid that there should be many factors affecting the coefficients other than the size.

2) And, is there a range (MIN-MAX) of the colloids size that C-Ride module can handle? (I know that the general size of colloids is 1-1000 nm). What I want to actually simulate is a plastic particle with variable sizes.

I am sorry if these questions sound foolish since I just ran a single example problem using C-ride.
Thank you in advance :)

Jaeshik

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm

1. I do not know of any general relationship like that.
2. It’s up to the users to decide when the C-Ride module is applicable to their problem. See the mathematical description of the problem, and decide based on that.
J.