Intermittent Irrigation

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
MANTOVANELLI1989

Intermittent Irrigation

Post by MANTOVANELLI1989 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm

I am working with subsurface irrigation in my thesis, however I can not model the irrigation flows in my work, considering a 12-hour irrigation flow, but with intervals of 2 hours of irrigation and 1 hour without irrigation.
I would like some information on how to start this simulation, because in all its forms, HYDRUS 2D considers the irrigation constant.

Jirka

Re: Intermittent Irrigation

Post by Jirka » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by " in all its forms, HYDRUS 2D considers the irrigation constant". Of course, you can specify time-variable fluxes at the boundaries. Many such examples are posted on the HYDRUS website (e.g., https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... d-lib-drip). J.

MANTOVANELLI1989

Post by MANTOVANELLI1989 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Dear Professor Jirka

In relation to work, I think I was not very specific, but the question is the following. I am attempting to begin the preparation of a flow in 2D hydrus considering intermittent irrigation of 12 hours, in this case irrigations for a period of 2 hours and without irrigation for 1 hour with an application rate of 6.25 mm / hour. However, for this type of modeling, I am not able to obtain from the graphs of moisture variation a behavior of increase and decrease of humidity. In this way I need a help on how to elaborate the contour conditions, since my biggest problem is to simulate this interval in which there is no water flow, so that the formation behavior of the wetting bulb is increasing for 2 hours (Irrigation) and without evolution for 1 hour (without irrigation).

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Again, I do not see any reason why you would not be able specify time-variable fluxes at the boundaries. Note that you need to specify not only periods with irrigation, but also those without (i.e., with zero flux). Many such examples are posted on the HYDRUS website (e.g., https://www.pc-progress.com/en/Default. ... d-lib-drip). J.