overlapping surfaces

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
ahmed_almayahi

overlapping surfaces

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi,
I am designing a 3D geometry of a pot filled with sand and silt soil in block shape. the silt blocks are embedded inside the sand box.
I did the geometry but when i was trying to create mesh in the system i got the a warnig message "error no. 372....... overlapping surface. i attached a picture for what i got here. can any body help me to solve this problem.
Attachments
New Microsoft wPresentation.gif
view for the system
New Microsoft wPresentation.gif (187.95 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Slide1.JPG
screen shot for the error
Slide1.JPG (187.31 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Mirek

Re: overlapping surfaces

Post by Mirek » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi Ahmed,
the solution is easy - if you send me your project, I'll fix it and also explain what the problem was. Please send your zipped project to support@pc-progress.com or you can insert/attach the project to this topic - it may be useful for other HYDRUS users to see the original project + the fixed one. Since there are more users with similar problems, we are working on new documentation explaining how to define 3D-General domains correctly, i.e. introduction to B-Rep topology + rules for creating manifold topological objects. It will be available soon.
Mirek

ahmed_almayahi

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am

Hi Mirek,
Thank you for the reply
I have sent you the project.
I am so excited to learn how to solve it. I also agree with you to post the project and the solution, so other members can benefit. I loved the idea of publishing document on solving such an issue
I will be waiting to hear back from you

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am

The solution is described in attached figures. The original and fixed projects are also attached.
Mirek
Solids1.jpg
Solids1.jpg (291.05 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Solids2.jpg
Solids2.jpg (378.79 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Solids3.jpg
Solids3.jpg (332.35 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Solids4.jpg
Solids4.jpg (436.59 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Attachments
smart_wet_1inch_fine_fixed.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
smart_wet_1inch_fine.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

ahmed_almayahi

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:47 am

Hi Mirek,
Thank you very much for helping in solving my problem and thank you for sharing the solution. I am going to learn it.
Thanks once again