Inverse simulation from Disk permeameter

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
mahardie

Inverse simulation from Disk permeameter

Post by mahardie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 am

HI
I am attempting to determine the van Genuchten parameter values of a soil crust by inverse simulation of infiltration from a mini-disk infiltrometer (small disk permeameter) for which i have infiltration at 6 supply potentials.
Looking at the CRUST example supplied with HYDRUS I note the crust was removed to determine the soil properties rather than the crust itself. Given that I am only interested in determining the properties of the crust should I be running an inverse simulation with a single material in the domain, ... the thinking being that as the surface is the most limiting factor for infiltration thats the only layer worth simulating.
OR should i determine the properties of the soil beneath the crust using traditional methods, ie evaporative flux and pressure chambers, then use a domain with two materials the upper layer (crust 2-3 mm thick) with unknown properties and the lower layer with known properties.
thanks for your advice
marcus