Question about Inverse Transient Model

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
fgooga22

Question about Inverse Transient Model

Post by fgooga22 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Greetings All,

I am looking to determine unsaturated properties for an embankment using the inverse solution. I have the subsurface foundation calibrated, the embankment material is all that is needed. I have only 3 phreatic surface data points in the embankment to calibrate the soil properties, collected at the end of a flooding event. Is it possible to use these points with the inverse solution to calculate the unsaturated properties of the soil?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jirka

Re: Question about Inverse Transient Model

Post by Jirka » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Likely not. See the discussion on parameter uniqueness and identifiability in:

Šimůnek, J., and J. W. Hopmans, Parameter Optimization and Nonlinear Fitting, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 1.7, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 139-157, 2002.

Hopmans, J. W., J. Šimůnek, N. Romano, and W. Durner, Inverse Modeling of Transient Water Flow, In: Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods, Chapter 3.6.2, Eds. J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Third edition, SSSA, Madison, WI, 963-1008, 2002.

J.

fgooga22

Re: Question about Inverse Transient Model

Post by fgooga22 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 pm

That's too bad. I'll take a look.

Thank you