horizontal groundwater flow (xy-plane)

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
bennyselle

horizontal groundwater flow (xy-plane)

Post by bennyselle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

I calculated an example with horizontal groundwater flow (xy-plane). I seems to me that Hydrus only computes steady-state solutions, i.e.
transient water flow cannot be computed.

I could not find any documentation, just the "Steady State Horizontal Flow" example (4.11) from the Hydrus2D Book (Rassam et al.).

A short reply would be much appreciated.

Jirka

Re: horizontal groundwater flow (xy-plane)

Post by Jirka » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm

You cannot simulate with HYDRUS (2D/3D) transient flow in the fully-saturated domain, since the standard version of the code assumes that the specific storage is equal to zero. I would need to send you a modified version of the code, which allows non zero values of the specific storage. Let me know. J.

bennyselle

Post by bennyselle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks for your quick reply, Jirka. Yes, I would be intersted to obtain the modified code including the specific storage option. I am simulating the developement of a groundwater mound under a recharge source.

Benny

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Below is the computational module that considers specific storage. You need to replace this module in your HYDRUS (2D/3D) installation folder. Hydrus (2D/3D) must be version 2.4 or higher. The zip file also includes one simple example which was run with specific storage=0.005. Note that once you start running the computational module, it will ask you to provide the value of the specific storage from the screen (since GUI does not recognize this parameter). If you enter zero, the code will run as a standard HYDRUS code. J.
h2d_SpecificStorage.rar
(550.96 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

bennyselle

Post by bennyselle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks, Jirka. It works fine. Benny