Wonky particle paths

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
mgoddard

Wonky particle paths

Post by mgoddard » Tue May 16, 2017 9:01 am

Why do some particles have such a wonky paths after they leave my section? This only seems to happen when water leaves the upper most seepage boundary. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Marie
Attachments
wonky particles.jpg
wonky particles.jpg (357.33 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

Jirka

Re: Wonky particle paths

Post by Jirka » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

I do not think that we can answer this without seeing the project itself and, for example, understanding what your BCs are. J.

mgoddard

Post by mgoddard » Wed May 17, 2017 7:05 am

Along the upper boundary I have flux and seepage boundaries. In the attached screenshot the flux is constant (steady state) but I also have the same model set up for variable flux. The basal unit is no flux. The western vertical boundary is free drainage.
Attachments
wonky particles3.jpg
wonky particles3.jpg (276.17 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
wonky particles2.jpg
wonky particles2.jpg (436.1 KiB) Viewed 3760 times

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Marie,
if you send us your project, I can look at it in the debugger. Otherwise I do not have any explanation - I have never seen a similar problem. Please ZIP your project or copy it to a FTP server if the ZIP size is too large (>10 MB).
Mirek

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 am

You print the particle trajectories only at print times. Had you printed the particle trajectories at each time step, you would have seen that the particles travel all the way to the upper boundary and cross it (x_new=x_old+velocity/theta*dt). Once a particle crosses the boundary, the algorithm is suppose to place it back at the boundary. For some reason (I have not studied that in detail), for particles 14 and 16, it places them at zero z coordinate. J.

mgoddard

Post by mgoddard » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 am

Thank you for the answer and the information about print times.