Number of digits in output files

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Antonio Meira

Number of digits in output files

Post by Antonio Meira » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi there,

I hope you all are doing well. I am simulating a 100cmx190cm a sloping lysimeter in Hydrus 2D. The domain is subject to a long time series of rainfall and for that I am using its upper boundary as Atmospheric boundary condition. The right side is a seepage face. The figure fig_domain (attached) depicts my domain.

I have a long sequence of rainfall and discharge for which I have observed values and will try to calibrate the internal parameters of flow. I am trying to obtain the discharge for each time interval (L/T) by getting the difference on the cumulative seepage and dividing by the difference in time for which each cumulative discharge was calculated. I also want to plot the actual flow into the domain as a way of verifying if the rainfall rates I provided throught the ATMOSPH.IN file are correct.

My problem arises when I plot the results for a 10 day experiment with varying precip rates: After a certain point my precipitation rate becomes coarser, so does the discharge rates. The attached figure input_output (attached) depicts what I am saying.

I realized the Cum_Q.OUT file writes the cumulative flows with 5 digits only and at a certain point my cumulative fluxes become too big to be able to be written with enough precision. The same thing happens when I use mm, cm or m as my unit.

Is there any way I can increase the number of digits of these output files? Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Attachments
input_output.jpg
input_output.jpg (128.21 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
fig_domain.pdf
(140.2 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Jirka

Re: Number of digits in output files

Post by Jirka » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Since for printing cumulative fluxes we use the scientific format (i.e., e13.5), this format is independent of units (m, cm, or mm) and is set (cannot be changed by users). An alternative way of getting cumulative flux between two times would be to integrate actual fluxes between these two times and dividing by time interval (you would need to print at each time step for this approach to be exact).

I’m currently traveling in Europe (the Hydrus short course and conference in Prague). If you contact me after these two events, I could recompile for you the computational module with output with more digits.

J.

Antonio Meira

Re: Number of digits in output files

Post by Antonio Meira » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Thank you!