Err: "Cannot modify because "" is still running"

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
hudepoml

Err: "Cannot modify because "" is still running"

Post by hudepoml » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Admin,
I am using Hydrus 2D/3D(2.0) with the Standard 2D package installed. I have constructed a relatively simple project that involves two regions on top of one another with a tile drain at the bottom of the top region. My initial conditions are in pressure heads.
When I calculate the project, it will run (17 seconds) and say "press enter to continue". When I do, however, there are no graphical results nor "other information" results. When I click on the results folder, it says "Results have not been calculated yet or have been deleted". If I try to modify anything in the project, I am prompted with "Cannot modify "My_Project" because calculation is running!".
I'm pretty sure it is not still running because this first happened a few weeks ago and I still receive the same prompt. How do I get the program to stop running and prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you for any help,

Mike

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:05 pm

This should not happen, and as far as I know, does not happen to other users. So you must be doing something strange/wrong. Have you try to run some of the examples that come installed with the software? Does it happen for them as well? Have you try any tutorials?

j.

ahmed_almayahi

Re: Err:

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Dear HYDRUS users

I encountered the same problem while modelling water and solute, . I am using HYDRUS-3D version 3.01.1360. I tried to run the simulation several times until it finished. Once i press enter to continue, no results were displayed. I thought there might be something wrong with the model, i played with the iteration criteria (i.e. water tolerance and pressure tolerance) as well as the initial and minimum time step. Again, once simulation done, press enter, i did not get results. Then i decided to run the simulation in another laptop with another license with the same HYDRUS version but we encountered the same problem. You can look at the snap shot from the model to show you the last update of the software, and the problem. I am also attaching the HYDRUS file to check the problem.

Waiting to hear back from you

Thanks
Attachments
st1_irr_scb_salinity_2.5atm_7days_Reserve_y.rar
(450.15 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
1.png
1.png (389.99 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Slide3.PNG
Slide3.PNG (247.04 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Slide2.PNG
Slide2.PNG (153.54 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Slide1.PNG
Slide1.PNG (144.61 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Ahmed,

I run your simulation in HYPAR and the calculation failed - see the attached screenshot. It is strange that the standard calculation "finished successfully" - I would say that it just did not detect the floating-point error and it probably crashed after you pressed the "Enter" key. The calculation process was not terminated correctly and the main program was not able to detect that the calculation crashed. This is a possible explanation why you cannot work with the GUI. Jirka, could you please look at the project? If the standard calculation is not stable - is there a way to detect it before displaying the "Calculation finished successfully" message?

M.
ErrMsg.jpg
ErrMsg.jpg (255.39 KiB) Viewed 571 times

ahmed_almayahi

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Mirek
your explanation is valid. I hope that Jirka could help us solving the problem

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I have run the project with the standard module for 1.5 days (and then stopped it; I do not have time to run the entire project) and did not see any problems. I would recommend to specify atmospheric BC only in the sections with Silty Loam. There is practically no evaporation from Sand since its retention curve is very steep and its hydraulic conductivity is 1e-10 cm/d for this material for hCritA. This can cause numerical instabilities. J.
The attachment RetentionCurve.png is no longer available
RetentionCurve.png
RetentionCurve.png (43.39 KiB) Viewed 568 times

ahmed_almayahi

Post by ahmed_almayahi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Valid explanation. Your suggestion worked very well

Thanks a lot