3D infiltration well

A discussion forum for users of the new HYDRUS 2D/3D. HYDRUS is a software package for simulating water, heat and solute movement in two- and three-dimensional variably saturated media. Happy Posting!
Jirka

Re: 3D infiltration well

Post by Jirka » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:43 pm

I just copied the program and the test example that I provided back to my PC and ran it without any problems. Perhaps, you should make the working directory permanent, otherwise, I do not know what I can suggest.

I have started implementing this option into the next version of HYDRUS, which will come out likely in the fall.

To your other question: Obviously, the constant head BC is incompatible with the Reservoir BC. If you want to keep a constant water level in the reservoir, you would need to inject exactly the same flux as the infiltration rate is. This would be pretty simple to accomplish. First, run the constant head simulation. From this simulation, you get the infiltration flux for this condition. Then use the infiltration flux as an injection flux in a simulation with the reservoir BC. That should keep the constant level in the reservoir.

J. 

max1308

Post by max1308 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:21 am

Dear Jirka,

Thank you again for all your help. I've tried a lot of different things but unfortunately I haven't been able to get the calculation running. Are the steps I mentioned in my previous reply correct for getting the calculation running outside GUI? If I don't get it to work might it be possible to have a paid consultation or workshop with somebody to help me set up the problem? I do see there is an upcoming workshop at the end of August although I don't know how usefull this would be for my particular problem.

Furthermore, I do see in your paper that you used a 2D axisymmetrical domain to calculate with wells and the Reservoir Boundary Conditions. Is it correct that I could also use this model for calculations with round drywells? Looking at the example Well-Radial-E I do see that the variable flux in the results is measured in m^3/h, does that mean the total (3D) infiltration through the well into the soil? If that is the case it would be easier to model my problem in 2D axisymmetrical domain instead of 3D, and that would help a lot.

Kind regards,
Max Schoenmakers

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 pm

You will need to make work the version that I posted in DropBox (which I fully tested), or wait till the next version of HYDRUS is released (sometimes in the fall). After I had developed the version that I had posted for you in DropBox, I made additional modifications so that the code can be run from the next version of GUI (which is currently the only version I have with the reservoir BC in 3D). J.