Q: 2D cross-section tool

A discussion forum for old Hydrus-2D & Meshgen. Happy Posting!
Download PDF document with all topics (February 8, 2008, 1.9MB):
http://www.pc-progress.com//Downloads/F ... on_H2D.pdf
Eric

Q: 2D cross-section tool

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:19 pm

Hello,
I would like to draw a cross-section showing the moisture content profile along the cross-section at several different print times. I am having a couple of problems:
1. Every time I have to graphically indicate the location of the cross-section. Because this must be done graphically, it is difficult to specify the exact same cross-section every time.
2. If the locations I specify for the cross-section end points are outside of the model domain, the distance plotted in the cross-section graph also begins outside the domain, rather than at the domain boundary.
3. After I export cross-section data I am not able to draw another cross-section without exiting Hydrus and restarting the program.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with these issues? Does anyone have a suggestion regarding the best way to plot data from exactly the same cross-section during successive print times?

Thanks,

Eric

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:03 pm

Hello Eric:

To your questions:
1. Use grid: menu item "Options->Grid Settings"
2. Unfortunately there is no option to switch off drawing on outer parts of the cross-section. This option might be implemented in next version.
3. This is an error - I'll have to look at it. For now I'd recommend you to export all quantities to a text file (button “export all”) and then you can import them to MS Excel (for example) and create your own graphs. I've also noticed that columns in the text file with exported quantities have wrong headings. Columns W1, W2, W3, W4, P, … actually correspond with variables in the combo-box on left dialog bar (Pressure head, etc.).

Best regards Mirek

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:35 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the grid settings as you suggested but could not see any difference when I tried using the cross-section tool. Am I missing something? I would like to be able to specify the exact same cross-section everytime I use the tool. This is necessary since I can't export data from more than one print time without exiting HYDRUS and restarting the program.

Thanks again,

Eric

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:04 pm

Hello Eric:

1. "Snap to grid" and "Grid visible" options must be checked and also you should really see the grid. If you don't see the grid then spacing is probably too fine - press button "Default" or enter "reasonable" values for "Width" and "Height". With these options I am able to define a cross-section where I want => I can have same scross-sections for different print-times.

3. My previous suggestion (to export all variables) unfortunately can't be used for different print-times. I'm going to fix this error and will inform you as soon as this problem is solved (my estimation is 1-2 weeks) so that you could download the fixed version.

Regards Mirek

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:20 pm

Thanks! Your additional instructions helped me get something I can work with. I look forward to hearing about any modifications you make related to printing the cross-section for several times or the problem I encounter when I export the data and then have to restart hydrus to draw another cross-section.
-Eric

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:01 pm

Hello Eric:

I’ve found the problem and fixed it, however it will take couple of days to prepare a new installation on our WEB site. There is one simple solution how to get around this problem: If you export data to the directory where Hydrus2D is installed then graph component should work correctly (you needn't restart Hydrus2D). After you export all data then you can move created files where you want.

Regards Mirek

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:31 am

The problem has been fixed in version 2.007 that can be downloaded now on our "Hydrus Downloads" page.
Regards Mirek