Time layer diseappered from results

A discussion forum for old Hydrus-2D & Meshgen. Happy Posting!
Download PDF document with all topics (February 8, 2008, 1.9MB):
http://www.pc-progress.com//Downloads/F ... on_H2D.pdf
Rimka

Time layer diseappered from results

Post by Rimka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 am

hi, I am working on furrow irrigation modelling, with Hydrus 2D/3D. the problem is when the calculation is done the time layer doesn't appear, even if print times were loaded of 15 values (15 days) with 1 day time step. the problem occurs only when working with 2D ( XZ plane), 3D works great. It seems that the code doesn't consider the time variable boundary conditions, it provides only a single value.Image
Thanks
Last edited by Rimka on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirek

Re: Time layer diseappered from results

Post by Mirek » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:36 am

Rimka, it is not clear what HYDRUS version you use. Can you attach an image of the window with results? The previous image is not available for some reason. M.

Rimka

Post by Rimka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:46 pm

I am using Hydrus 1.xx version and here is an image with the results interface.
Thank you
Attachments
hydr2.JPG
hydr2.JPG (210.68 KiB) Viewed 11510 times
hydr.JPG
hydr.JPG (189.01 KiB) Viewed 11511 times

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:17 pm

OK, thanks. The time-layer control is visible only if the number available time-layers for the currently displayed quantity is greater than 1. Although you have defined 15 print-times, the calculation has not finished correctly (see "***" values of hConst in the first figure) and the output file th.out (located in the working directory) probably contains only the initial time layer or other values are unreadable.
M.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:18 am

I can see from you screen shots that there is no problem with display of the results but with your set up of the project. The “HYDRUS Calculation” window clearly shows that the numerical solution for your set up did not converge and thus you cannot display any results since they simply do not exist. You likely do not have the project defined correctly, otherwise the program would converge and you would get results, which you could then display.

Before you make claims that the program does not show results or does not work, you should test examples that are distributed with the software, one of which also deals with Furrow Irrigation, and see if those work. While we should guarantee that the test examples work, we cannot guarantee that your own projects will, since they may not be set up correctly.

Jirka

Rimka

Post by Rimka » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi thak you for your succint reply. i checked the example of Furrow irrigation joined with the software and it works perfectly. I realized that the prbleme is due to the Water Flow Parameter, wich are provided by the ROSETTA module using soil texture and the bulk density. The program doesn't converge for combinaition like ( 49.5% sand, 33.5% silt, 17% clay, 1.01 BD) wich is a real field case. and it works fine for WFP using tne soil catalog. this problem occurse only in with 2D project, while it works in 3D.
I am dealing with double layered soil structure ( Earthen canal lining and soil of the canal), when I tried to use different materiel for the two soil layers i had no results. resluts are obtained only in the case of unique materiel type for the two layers, and this is only in 2D model.
Thanks again.

Jirka

Post by Jirka » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Then you likely only need to adjust discretization, i.e., to use smaller time steps or smaller spatial discretization.

Your parameters look rather unrealistic to me (BD of 1.01 with the sand content o 50%). Please note that Rosetta is good only within the textural parameters for which it has been developed, and may be completely wrong if you go outside of these variables.

J.

Rimka

Post by Rimka » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 am

thank you for your precious replys, i checked the data out yes, i agree there was wrong values of bulk density. I have calculated the bulk density of each soil sample in the laboratory. then i adjusted the space and time discretization, but enven with this changes the calculation stops at a time of (0.432 days) and doesn't reach the final simulation day wich is day 15.