zero flux with lower boundary

A discussion forum for old Hydrus-2D & Meshgen. Happy Posting!
Download PDF document with all topics (February 8, 2008, 1.9MB):
http://www.pc-progress.com//Downloads/F ... on_H2D.pdf
mahardie

zero flux with lower boundary

Post by mahardie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I suspect im going to get the same answer to this question...i need to upgrade.
I am trying to simulate a flux meter installed at 30 cm depth which has a permanent -65 cm head to draw water into the device. So when soil potential is between 0 and -65 cm water flows into the device, when soil potential is between -65 cm and -1000+ there is no flow into the device.
However using the constant head boundary water flows from the device into the soil...which i need to prevent.
i looked at BDRC options and saw option two to switch boundary condition to zero flux when GWL>99999
I note in the instructions the comment....
This boundary condition can be used for example for a disc permeameter where the specified head changes to a zero flux during time periods when the permeameter is re-supplied with water. The zero flux is initiated by specifying a value larger than 999999......
can i somehow set a zero flux for matric potentials more negative than -65 cm and flow into the dvice between 0 and -65 cm ??
thanks again.

Jirka

Re: zero flux with lower boundary

Post by Jirka » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:24 am

Yes, you will get the same answer. Indeed, in HYDRUS (2D/3D), version 2, I have implemented a "Seepage Face with a Specified Pressure Head" (hSeep). If the pressure head at the boundary is smaller than hSeep, there is no flow. A constant pressure head (hSeep) is maintained when the pressure head would exceed hSeep and the flux across the boundary is allowed, calculated, and reported. J.

mahardie

Re: zero flux with lower boundary

Post by mahardie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks again for your help i really appreciate it :D .
i really need to find a way to upgrade. The problem have is that CSIRO (a seperate orgaisation to UTAS) arnt that keen to upgrade the site licence, which means I have to buy a single licence outright, which my work wont support as they see I have a perfectly working old version. if i had a existing single site licence I would upgrade tomorrow.............. :(
Marcus